When one young patient was asked what advice he would give to the grown-ups at medical procedures, he said “Be all around friendly." It sums up the approach in a nutshell.
Friendly Medical Procedures informs and guides parents, caregivers and health professionals how to:
- prevent or relieve fear and pain associated with medical tests and treatments, from simple immunisations to more invasive procedures
- make modern healthcare less threatening generally
- create partnerships so that infants and children feel safe and supported in the medical setting
An effective approach that goes beyond pain management, it is a combination of knowledge and skills:
- based on scientific research across many disciplines, clinical experience and feedback from families and staff
- with an equal emphasis on a child's developmental and medical needs
The answer is not to avoid needles and healthcare, but to know how to cushion the impact of medical procedures – to make them friendly and non-threatening, to replace procedural pain and fear with confidence and coping.